Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Brooklyn Alona Johnson


Thank you, Dave and Shelly for posting pics of baby Brooklyn. I am finally feeling well enough to sit at the computer and tell you all hello and send a pics of my own. Shelly got really great pics, so I'll just send the most recent one. This is Brooklyn at 1 week old (yesterday). She is sleeping so well that I think I'm sleeping better now than before I had her. At night she wakes up only twice (around 1 and 5 am) and she goes back to sleep rather quickly. She's still in her fog where it's hard to keep her awake for feedings, which is quite entertaining. She is very good natured and lets her sisters hold her and get a little too close and she cries only when we're changing her and when she's hungry.




The delivery went very, very well. The doctor was in by 11:45 on the morning of the 7th, and Brooklyn was born at 12:08 pm. We were SHOCKED that she weighed 8 lbs 2 oz. She is 3 1/2 weeks early (she was due Jan 31st), so she is a VERY big baby for her birth age. She would have been close to 10 lbs at term. Her lungs were perfectly fine. She had very low blood sugar when she was born, but within hours it had corrected itself and there were no further concerns with blood sugar. On our 3rd day in the hospital her billiruben levels (what they measure for jaundice) had gone up just enough that she stayed on the phototherapy lights for 24 hours and then she was fine. Brooklyn turned out to be O- on her blood type and was thus not affected by the Rh Sensitization.




We feel very, very blessed that all went so well. With the toxemia, pre-term contractions and the Rh problems, there is quite a bit that could have gone terribly wrong. We believe that it is only through the help of family, prayers, priesthood blessings and through the tender mercies of the Lord that we have a beautiful and very healthy baby girl. Thank you all for your prayers and help.




We love you all, Heather and Steve and girls

1 comment:

Camille said...

What a sweetie!!! I am so glad that everything went so well!! How lucky of you to have such a good baby for your 3rd kid!! I did NOT get that!! Though, I did with my first, and you didn't :) Guess it all evens out!