Thursday, December 13, 2007

Baby Update

Hey everyone! I thought it was probably time for an update on the baby and I. We are doing relatively well. I was checked into the hospital again today for observation, but was only there for a few hours. I am having contractions every ten minutes, but as of now they are not overly intense and they are not causing labor, so for now we wait. My blood pressure is doing pretty well with the medication I am on, and despite the headache (which is supposedly a sure sign that things are going downhill) all of my levels are in check for hanging on to this baby for a little while longer.

To sum up: Rh levels are still rising for the baby, but are not yet in the danger zone; toxemia is concerning and can change within a day's time, but for now, my levels are not in the danger zone; and contractions are getting more consistent, but are not causing labor yet. My next appointment day is on Monday. I will be having all 3 appointments that day (Perinatology ultrasound for the Rh problem, non-stress test for the toxemia and contractions, and my OB appointment last since he's the one with the final say on everything :). We're really hoping to keep the baby going for another week (at 34 weeks the only issue is the maturity of the lungs and they can give me steroids to develop the lungs quickly before delivery). At 36 weeks, which would be ideal, the baby will likely be healthy enough (if it's blood type is negative) for me to leave the hospital with her (no NICU stay).

The great news in all of this is that I am 33 weeks along now and the baby has no forseeable health problems and will only need some oxygen for a little while if she's delivered before 36 weeks. We are very releaved to get to this point. We have not yet set a date for delivery as the doctors would like to keep her in me until the very moment it is no longer beneficial for the baby or for me. That could be tomorrow, it could be in January sometime. We don't know...but we will keep you posted.

We are very, very thankful to have Crystal here with us. I would likely not have made it this far if it weren't for her, mentally and physically. She's cooking, cleaning, helping with the kids, and has been wonderful. She is discovering that dishes for a family of 5 is not enjoyable (this is one of my great downfalls!), but does them anyway and seems to be enjoying learning how to cook a few meals for her future life in Virginia. She's doing very well and is such a blessing. I think it no accident that the timing was just right for her to be able to come help and am grateful for the Lord's tender mercies.

By the way, Steve got a sizeable raise in his job which we are VERY thankful for. They changed his hours to 12-9pm at the start of the new year which absolutely stinks for family life, so we will start looking again for that elusive perfect job after the baby is born. Wish us luck!

Katie and Presley are doing well. Katie is loving school and Presley is getting more and more clingy as I've been making my stays in the hospital, but I suppose this is to be expected. We're very excited for life to calm down and take on a bit of normalcy soon. Does that ever happen? At least we'll have SOME normalcy after the baby is born.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern for us. We feel the prayers are helping and are grateful for all of you and all you do for us. We'll update you soon. Love, Heather and Steve

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! I know 3 weeks feels like 3 years when you are pregnant! Hang in there as I know first hand how hard it was to be worried all the time if everything was okay and how long I could make it physically and emotionally. Good Luck and we will keep you in our prayers.

Camille said...

Thank you so much for the update! We continue to pray for the health of you and the baby!!! Hopefully you both can hang on for at least a few more weeks!! What a long pregnancy this must be for you!! Thank goodness for Crystal!! I'm so glad that she could be there to help you all out during this time! Hope you all have a great Christmas!!